 Robotics / 26794
26793  |  26795
Subject:
Philo's remote and spy rover
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 02:12:50 GMT

I just ran across these on LEGO's NXTlog: A little Spy rover and a
joystick-based remote control:

http://philohome.com/nxtjoystick/joystick.htm
http://philohome.com/nxtrover/rover.htm

First - nice job Philo! I like the ball caster (OK, I'll admit bias), but I
really like using a mechanical linkage to pan the US sensor to widen the FOV.
Have you tried using the encoder position modulo 360 degrees so that the program
knows which way the US sensor is looking when it "sees" something? And have you
tried mounting the camera on a third motor to allow up/downn pans?

On the remote control, again nice job: I tried a bunch of gearing, and was never
able to engineer out enough slop to make me happy (and now I'm so used to
two-paddle steering, that I suspect I'll never "make the switch" to a joystick),
so I like the "no gears" solution you promote. I've got to ask about your
timings of the BT messaging back and forth. You mention that "switching back and
forth" slows things down. Is it switching back and forth (between master-sending
and slave-sending) that is slowing things down, or is it simply the lag inherent
in slave-sending (the slave has to wait until polled by the master for pending
messages)? And if so, how did you test the timings?

--
Brian Davis