 Robotics / 26605
Re: NXT Synchro Drive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 15:01:24 GMT

On Dec 7, 2006, at 1:48 PM, Chris Phillips wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Rich Thompson wrote:
On Dec 7, 2006, at 7:03 AM, Chris Phillips wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Rich Thompson wrote:
I have been playing with the turntable from the NXT kit to try and
build a synchro drive train. It got a bit complicated but it
works. I
posted a video at my blog:

<http://www.robotthoughts.com/index.php/lego/archives/2006/12/06/
lego-mindstorms-nxt-synchro-drive/>

or just:

<http://www.robotthoughts.com/>

Have Fun!

This looks pretty cool, and I can well respect any attempt to
design a cool
device out of LEGO, but I wonder how necessary something like this
is with the
NXT?

Just wondering...

You are touching on the exact reason I am playing with the synchro
drive platform. Previously, to maintain "sync" between the rotation
of different wheels I had to use locked gearing or a chain. you can
see examples here:

http://www.robotthoughts.com/index.php/lego/archives/2000/07/20/
astro-
droid-synchro-drive/

and here:

http://www.robotthoughts.com/index.php/lego/archives/2000/07/20/
synchro-drive-with-360-degree-bumper/

By working with NXT motors, I hope to not have that design
requirement.

Yes, I think the new capabilities of the NXT are going to give us
all a new
perspective on the challenges we've taken on in the past.

As to why this platform, I like the zero degree turn radius and the
design is fun to watch when the full synchro drive is in motion. See
the videos in the robots above. Once you understand the synchro
drive, it really opens up some of the robotic possibilities of the
turntable.

Cool!  There are other benefits to synchro drive as well, I
suppose, such as the
ability to change direction without changing the orientation of the
chassis.
It's always good to see someone continuing to push the envelope.

You're probably already aware of these other designs, but I'll add
the links
here for (my own) future reference:

http://www.restena.lu/convict/Jeunes/SynchroDrive.htm
http://www.visi.com/~dc/synchro/index.htm

By the way, your synchro drive page is already the #3 result on
google!

Good links! I love those original synchro drive sites. They inspired
me originally and looking at them again reminds me of a few ideas I
have let slide from my brain.

At the risk of this looking like link pimpage, I offered one
improvement on those original designs to increase the strength of the
wheel rotation gears. You can see that improvement here:

http://www.robotthoughts.com/index.php/lego/archives/2001/03/20/
stronger-synchro-drive/

Crazily enough, my blog is so old and linked to that many posts on
less important keywords go right to the top.

I am getting back into the robotics side after a few years of just
noodling around with my original RCX sets without much impact. The
NXT has re-energized me a bit but I'll need to get rid of this pesky
need for money soon :)

Have Fun!

Rich