 Robotics / 2660
2659  |  2661
Subject:
Sources for misc parts - electronic & mechanical
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 01:14:23 GMT

I have had some difficulty in finding various electric / electronic parts.
While there are 4 Radio Shacks near me, none of them carry a whole lot,
although they will order it in.

While looking for parts to make track for my kids Lego train (O Gauge is
perfect), I found a very wide array of usable parts at our local hobby shop.
This one specializes in trains.
The HO and N gauge electrics tidy little fittings, and will fit into Lego
blocks.

As well, they have an assortment of electronics, sensors and switches (for
trains) that may come in handy.  Their prices are pretty good too - using
Radio Shack as a comparison.

Anyhow, I thought I'd mention it for those who are looking for tiny pieces,
or having trouble finding sources, don't forget to check out the hobby shops
in your neighborhood.

For glueing my sensor parts together I have found that a low temp. craft hot
glue gun works very well.

My kids gave me a hard time about cutting up Lego even to make additional
sensors for them ... they insisted i use Mega Blocks - they are a 'compatible
building brick - www.megablocks.com made by Rivtik.  They come in a wider
variety of colours and seem to have a slightly lower melting temperature.

(I use non Lego items as a means to an end with no intent to offend the Lego
purists)

PS
I'm kind of new to all of this, and have gotten into it with my kids.
I had been looking for a robot kit for a long time for both myself and the
kids, and then heard about Mindstorms in November ... so now we have one.

Thanks to sites like this, & Mike  Michael Gasperi's web site,
(http://ourworld.compserve.com/homepages/Michael_Gasperi/lego.htm)
web site and others, I am learning a lot, and have been successful in making
my own sensors.

I am having a very low success rate making connector cables I have ordered a
few as well as the electical plates today - In Canada (southern Ontario), Lego
directs us to Spectrum an educational component firm for parts)

Matt