 Robotics / 2640
Re: Book on Robot Sensors and Navigation Techniques.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:29:39 GMT

As long as we're on the subject of books, I'd like
to recommend "Mobile Robots" by Anita Flynn and
Joe Lee Jones:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1568810970/o/qid=916067679/sr=2-1/002
-2986812-2680605

It's a fascinating book, full of hands-on information.
It contains step by step instructions for building
several robots, including the venerable Rug Warrior.
It covers mechanical design, sensors and actuators,
and the software side of things as well. (The Motorola
68hc11 is described in detail.) Flynn and Jones come
from the same MIT background as Mindstorms,
although this book is for "harder-core" robot hobbyists
whereas Mindstorms falls on the softer-core end
of the spectrum. Still, it doesn't assume you know
a lot and explains most concepts from the bottom up.
I found it compelling reading when I first read it
several years ago.

Regards,
Jonathan