 Robotics / 26276
Re: reverse ploarity circut protection??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:43:16 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.robotics, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   hey electronic wizards,

i am working on a new lego project to rid the new IR train electronics from the bulky train base and i’m looking to build a circut protector for it. since i am planning on using standard lego conections 2x2x 2/3rds this is very important. if anyone has a solution i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks, ondrew

A bridge rectifier would work, very simple, but I’m not sure it’s the best solution.

ROSCO

Yes, though the things to think about are the voltage drop across the diodes or other devices and the amount of power required.

If only low power devices were being driven, such as the IR chip on its own, a simple bridge rectifier made from four 1N4148 diodes would be best, since their voltage drop is low (as little as 0.2V), giving 0.4V drop in total. Similar diodes (in surface-mount packages) are used in RCX and NXT sensors, rectifying 9V at up to 15mA.

However, if the protection circuit has to drive motors (possibly 2 train motors and 2 technic motors), requiring up to 1 Amp, this would be too much for 1N4148s. The standard alternative of 1N4001s or a one-piece bridge rectifier would have a voltage drop of 0.6-1V per device, a significant loss of power and speed from the driven motors.

A power bridge rectifier could be made with four power transistors, shorting the base of each one to its collector in order to keep them turned on. This could achieve a voltage drop as low as 0.2V per device, 0.4V total. However, the maximum base-emitter reverse breakdown voltage must be considered. If this is 5V then additional protection is required in a 9V system.

The sort of circuit required for more power is a controlled bridge rectifier. I’ll have a look in my books. I think there’s a circuit in one of them that has transistors in this configuration with resistors crossing the base connections over somehow.

Mark