 Robotics / 26228
Re: RCX vs NXT for FIRST?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 17:47:36 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Antonishen wrote:

Any thoughts on the best way to go for a brand new team,
and no previous FIRST experience?

   How old are they, and will they be competing in the future? And is this going
to be a long-term (5+ year) program, or a flash in the pan? It would seem the
NXT will end up being a significant (the only?) FLL kit in the future, as LEGO
phases out suppling the RCX and accessories. So particularly for a *new* team,
one without prior knowledge of the construction techniques and programming
options, the NXT would be the best bet.
   But you have to weigh this against (a) your love and ability with the RCX
platform (considerable), and (b) the fact that often, it's not the best hardware
or software that wins (i.e. - Robolab seems superior to RIS in every way I can
think of, yet the high-scoring teams are evenly split... at least so I've been
told), but the best design (both planning, and execution). And that last should
be rather independant of the platform.

--
Brian Davis