 Robotics / 26113
RE: Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:26:06 GMT

I think the site would be more valuable if it focused JUST on GBC.  I
gave up on it as a resource after poking around and not finding
sufficient GBC information.  I'm a complete newbie, no real idea what
GBC is.  The front page says "It can't be explained, you have to see it
for yourself."

So I went to the video page, to see it for myself.

http://www.greatballcontraption.com/videos.html

The #1 video is the standard NXT demonstration, completely unrelated to
GBC. I sorta lost interest after that.  I had been expecting to see some
new cool GBC NXT project, and saw a vanilla video I've already seen
before.

Philosophically, I think the idea of a GBC site is a good one, but in
this case, I think less is more.  Anything not GBC should be removed, or
clearly indicated as non-relevant (and linked to an external site).

As for this list, I hope a separate NXT list emerges, run by someone who
will allow the subject line to include a prefix.  Of the 30 lists I
subscribe to, this is the only one that doesn't prepend the subject with
a list indicator, and I'm wary of spending my time opening messages with
subjects like "Phil's Photos!", given the enormous amount of SPAM I also
have to deal with.

While I don't expect to buy a shirt or mug, I would definitely go out of
my way to see GBC's at BrickFest.  I recently built a VEX robot to pick
up and dispense ping pong balls, and have a new-found appreciation for
the difficulty involved.

Tac