 Robotics / 26081
Re: NXT electronic additions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2006 17:11:11 GMT

Mark Bellis wrote:
My second experiment was to use pins 5 and 6 of the NXT sensor port to derive 4
states in order to drive 3 different LEDs for a 3-colour light sensor.  The idea
is that if the readings for each LED colour on each brick colour are known, the
NXT can then determine the brick colour from a look-up table.  I used red, green
and yellow LEDs for the output test, though the idea is to eventually use red,
green and blue for a wider spectrum.

That's a better idea because a yellow LED is just a red and a green LED
that are both turned on at the same time.  Hence there is no additional
information in terms of reflectivity than you would have gained from the
red and green LED's used separately.  The blue one should help your
classifications though.  You might also want to try an infra-red LED
since IR reflectivity of the different Lego colours may be more
distinctive than in visible light.  If the NXT sensor is more sensitive
to red than to green or blue then the odds are good that it'll respond
to IR pretty well.