 Robotics / 2602
Re: Automatic Transmission
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:24:53 GMT

alex wetmore wrote in message ...
I haven't seen pictures, but there were directions posted to the list.
If you do a search on lugnet.com for "automatic transmission" then
you'll find them.

I tried to built it, but had some problems.  The transmission seems
to be dependent on friction between the worm gear and a pinion for
shifting it into the next gear (the lower one).  The problem that
I had was that the worm gear would bounce back and forth on the edge
of the high gear's pinion when in low gear.  This was pretty loud
and took a lot of energy. • Could you put a picture of it on your webpage, or an ldraw file

I meant to ask the original designer about it, but haven't had a
chance.  It would be great if someone could put a picture of the
built transmission on a webpage.  If I could get it working it
would be an interesting thing to add to the drive-motor on my current
robot platform (which is getting more complex... i added some cool
bumper sensors to it yesterday and will update the pictures on my lego
homepage when I get a chance).

Speaking of bumpers, I saw a pretty cool use for the rotation sensor's
built into the CyberMaster set.  That is to use them to detect when
your robot has bumped into something.  When it bumps into something its
speed will fall, so you can detect this.  Seems to be a good way to get
all around bumpers with a minimal number of inputs (two rotation sensors
would be required, one for each driving motor).

alex
http://www.phred.org/~alex/lego