 Robotics / 25968
25967  |  25969
Subject:
Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 22:07:02 GMT

While sitting in an incredibly boring IB Spanish I class this afternoon (no
teacher=no work=no progress=boredom=idle thoughts), I had an idea. It may have
been said already in the flood of NXT-based messages which crossed my inbox
several months ago, many of which I could not read due to lack of time. However,
I will state it (again) here. In one of the few messages I did read during that
time, I got the impression that the NXT sensor ports were digital in nature.
However, my thoughts followed this pattern:
*There are converter cables from RCX to NXT, mainly made for sensor use.
*RCX sensors are analog.
*Thus, either the NXT needs to have ADC's, or the cables themselves need to.
*If the cables had ADC's, though, then RCX motors wouldn't work with the
converter cables as they apparently do.
*Thus, I conclude that the NXT sensor ports must have ADC's behind them to an
extent, and thus homebrew sensors need not output a digital signal.

Just my US$0.02, feel free to shoot it down if it is flamingly wrong.

Andrew Meyer