 Robotics / 25891
25890  |  25892
Subject:
Help getting up to speed on robot electronics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 17:48:16 GMT

I'm a newcomer to robotics, with 30 years of experience in software
and nearly nothing at all on the hardware / electronics side. I'd like
to learn how to get stuff working with my Vex controller other than
the Vex-branded parts -- things like speech synthesizers, infrared or
other wireless communications technologies, and so on. Can anyone
suggest a book, online course, kit, or other way to help me get up to
speed on the necessary skills? I'm more than willing to start with
whatever basic theory-type stuff is relevant.

I've seen some of the Parallax kits, such as the BASIC Stamp Activity
Kit, but I'm not sure if that'd be the right approach. The package
seems to emphasize the programming aspects of the projects, which I
don't need help on.

I have a feeling our kids are going to want to experiment with this
stuff, so I better start getting up to speed now so I can stay ahead
of them and look credible for at least a few weeks!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have!