 Robotics / 25843
Re: NXT encoders: absolute or relative? (was Re: The NXT NDA is relaxed...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 04:08:43 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Joe Strout wrote:
   In lugnet.robotics, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

   Indeed, I just published some NXT technic stuff (motors behavior, NXT cable hacking) on my site: http://philohome.com/

Fantastic! Thanks for all this great information.

I have a question about the encoders on the NXT motor. I read that they’re supposed to report the shaft position to within 1 degree. But looking at the encoder wheel actually inside the device, I don’t see how that can be. It looks to me like it just reports changes in position. But if you turned your device off and back on, it’d have no idea what the absolute position of its shafts might be.

Can anybody clarify this point for us?

relative.

As you suggested, if you turn off the NXT, it will loose track of it’s current location.

Steve