 Robotics / 25831
25830  |  25832
Subject:
NXT connectors and recepticles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2006 20:56:15 GMT

I have a question I'm hoping somebody from the NXT team can answer.

According to the 'open source' press release:

<http://mindstorms.lego.com/press/2057/Open%20Source%20Announcement.aspx>

The schematics and configuration for the new NXT connectors will be released in
August.

My question is this  - Since the connectors are effectively proprietary, what
good does that do us?  Will LEGO release the connectors and the the circuit
board mounted female recepticles as stand alone parts?  Or will people be able
to purchase them directly from who ever makes them?  (I doubt LEGO makes those
parts).  I'd really like to make my own cables and perhaps make a little board
that would control one of these really cool $18 NXT servo motors without having
to use a $120 NXT.  But I would need the recepticle to mount to the circuit
board.

Yes, I've seen how a standard RJ12 connector can be hacked to work with NXT but
that seems too crude.

It looks like HiTechnic will have some custom sensors...  Maybe I should email
them.

Anyone have any information on this topic?

Ben