 Robotics / 2575
Re: BEN Erwin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 21:08:35 GMT

Check out Pitsco LEGO Dacta for other Mindstorms cirriculum.
Although they really only have cirriculums for K thru 8 you might be able
to expand on what they have.

http://www.pitsco-legodacta.com/

I'm pretty sure that the RCX curriculum that PITSCO-LEGODACTA has is only for
the amusement park kit (so far) and ROBOLAB.  There isn't really a Mindstorms
"curriculum" available that I am aware of.  And yes, it is mainly K-8.

If these are 12th graders, then some of the stuff we do at the college level
with the RCX for non-engineering freshman might apply.  We have a course
in kinetic sculpture, and a more competitive-style course (similar to
6.270 at MIT, the course that Fred Martin created, although I think its called
something different now.) Email crogers@tufts.edu (Chris Rogers) for specifics.
There is also a physics professor at Wellesley that does programmable brick
stuff (MIT brick) with his students that is definitely applicable.
http://www.wellesley.edu/Physics/robots/studio.html

I also imagine that you could get in touch with tons of technology teachers
that having been using the old serial interface box and its curriculum and
adapt it for the RCX.  For example, right now I adapted the "Intelligent House"
idea and my students are making houses and then making them "intelligent" with
the RCX.

-Ben