 Robotics / 25538
Re: MOC: Working solar powered rover and geiger counter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 18:04:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Justin Fisher wrote:

The heart is a low input voltage (5V) CCFL inverter and a low voltage
geiger tube. Geiger tubes normally operate at 900V +/- 20V,  but some
are designed for 500V, and most of these will start to operate in the
350V range.

   I fear all I can do is gawk in astonishment. Getting a HV sensor to work off
the RCX is truly an amazing acomplishment. But you've gone well beyond that,
with the solar panel (I'd seen the earlier one on eBay), the powercan... and the
low-power mode for the RCX!! This last is perhaps the most amazing to me, and it
may be a modification I try to make. I'm curious if I could use this to "wake
up" an RCX on a schedule, or when certain events trigger, and latch the power on
until the RCX shuts itself off again (I'm thinking long-term monitoring of
environments for weeks or months). I'll have to poor over the schematics, but
I'll agree with Philo and others, very nicely documented.

   Do you have documentation (OK, schematics, internal pictures, or hints and
tips on building them) for the energy cans?

   And what type of solar cells do you use in the solar panel (efficiency?)

you'll want something radioactive by the tube so you know the tube
is active

   I always used Colman lantern mantles for this (ever wonder why thy say "do
not handle ash, and wash hands immediately"? Th-232).

I would prefer to be able to use a scintillator instead of a
geiger tube, but geiger tubes only draw power when an event
occurs, so their power draw is lower.

   I thought you could hook up a crystal to a photomultiplier tube, but it's
been too long since my lab days.

--
Brian Davis