 Robotics / 25316
RE: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:06:25 GMT

Steve Hassenplug wrote:

On Tue, January 17, 2006 5:01 pm, dan miller wrote:
I would try to figure out how to program this thing with a more
powerful language,

More powerful than what?

   That is definitely the important question.  I have been
programming for more than 20 years with many languages and
each has its own advantages (ease of development, speed, ease
of maintenance, and so on);  turning down some language is
usually meaningless and only leads to endless arguments...

   My *guess* is that the LabView version for NXT is probably
very good.  After all it has been used with success as ROBOLAB
for years.

   But some (many?) of the buyers for NXT will also be people
with a technical background and/or a hunger for getting the
most out of the kit.

   There are also many steps in between the two extremes.  For
instance, people who start learning textual languages;  for
many years, studies have shown that having a way to visualize
what you are programming is a must for beginners;  look for
LOGO, Squeak (a Smalltalk derivative);  in that context the
visualization will be the robot.

   I think Lego made the right choice when picking up and
developing the programming environment (especially since it
has taken into account the inputs from people outside of TLG).
And they have shown in the past that they are openminded (do
you know of any company that would point to hacked firmware
from their own webpage?).

   Now it's up to the community to develop other environmentS
(capitalized S on purpose ;).  Of course I think this should
be done as early as the beta stage, but I am biased :)

Laurent

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
medium.  Thank you.