 Robotics / 25285
  Why Java for Robots (was NXT and bluetooth enabled phones)

(...) Why? Full Java requires it but you're not trying to make a full Java implementation. Why can't all your data be statically allocated by the compiler (not allocated at run-time)? Sure, you'd have to tweak the language a little but so what? (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Why Java for Robots

Hi Peter, (...) there are plenty of other languages, many in research, that sit on top of a Java VM, and the interesting ones need garbage collection (I've been explicitly asked this for Curry :-) ). Also, other kinds of VMs are popular with Lisp (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Why Java for Robots (was NXT and bluetooth enabled phones)

(...) Peter, I know that its not quite the same thing, but the robotic space vehicle DeepSpace 1 was to use visual navigation and rendevouz with an asteroid. The light wasn't good enough, and being 300+ miles off course at the final approach, (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)