 Robotics / 25021
Re: Mindstorms NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 15:04:56 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Allen Foster wrote:
I'm really excited about this new Mindstorms NXT range and can't wait
until August. This announcement is not only going to reinvigorate the
Mindstorms product line but also the enthusiasm of Mindstorms fans like
us.

Looking at the new range does anyone feel that Lego is making a slight
paradigm shift with regards to the purpose of the set.
In the original Mindstorms range we had a large variety of more or less
generic Lego Technic components along with which was packaged an RCX,
some sensors and a couple of motors. In effect this set was very much
about the Lego with the RCX added in, it was the RCX which had to work
with the existing Lego, not the other way around.
Now in the new Mindstorms NXT range the 'robotics' components of the
set seem to be getting a much higher billing. In effect the NXT is
more of a dedicated robotics set with non-standard non-generic Lego to
connect things together. The emphasis seems to be much more on
building complex robots through programming / behaviors rather than
through mechanical design with the Lego.

As much as I welcome the announcement of the NXT, I can't help but
feel that if Lego supplied with the kit was more generic Technic
Lego rather than the custom parts it would lead to a better building
experience overall. Lego seems to want to make their new ranges look
modern and sophisticated, hence the lack of studs on the front of NXT
command brick. This will limited the models we can build and
ultimately the usefulness of the set. I find this particularly
concerning with the sensors which seem to have a very limited range of
attachment possibilities and not a stud in sight!

Your point about building seems to boil down to studded vs studless.  LEGO has
good financial reasons to want to go studless.  The patents on studded are
running out.  Each time they make a new studless part they have patent
protection for many years.

You may think of studless as non-standard, but LEGO does not, obviously.

Just my 2c, and having said all this, I'll be first in the queue to buy one!

I've grown to like studless, but still have more studded technic bricks than
studless.

Kev