 Robotics / 25012
    Re: mindstorms NXT and memory —Brian Davis
   (...) Well, there's a significant cost above and beyond the electronics here. The NXT *might* be comparable to a PDA, but tossing in 500+ precision-molded little plastic parts probably drives the cost up considerably (heck, just from buying sets I (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: mindstorms NXT and memory —Rob Antonishen
   (...) I keep hearing this (and reading in the official press releases) but having recently shopped for a cell phone, I can tell you that everyone available here (Ontario) that I can find has the bluetooth crippled to it will ONLY talk to bluetooth (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: mindstorms NXT and memory —Yann Vernier
     (...) Ouch, that's bad. Here in Sweden I can confirm that bluetooth phones with other features are around - for instance, my own phone can sync, and others can be used to remote control toys. Apart from the Ericsson car, I found TV output and (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: mindstorms NXT and memory —Kyle McDonald
     (...) One (Verizon) of the 2 top carrier's in the US tried to cripple the bluetooth in at least one model, and it created a large PR storm. I"m not sure whether they changed their position on that model or on future models but I havne't heard as (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: mindstorms NXT and memory —steve
     (...) That's because you can actually catch a phone virus via bluetooth (it's not very secure). My wife's phone caught one - and it was a pain to get rid of. (...) Well, not NIL - but less likely than perhaps you might like. However, it's gonna be (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: mindstorms NXT and memory —Steve Hassenplug
     (...) every place that talks about the NXT also talks about "Bluetooth technology that allows your robot to communicate with external devices such as mobile phones". (URL) Personally, I REALLY think controlling a NXT bot with a cellphone will be (...) (18 years ago, 10-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: mindstorms NXT and memory —Jordan Bradford
     (...) Or with a GameBoy Advance with the wireless link peripheral (uses Bluetooth). It's not a common piece of hardware, but some of the newer Pokemon games come with it. I think about 15 games support it currently. Anyway, my GBA is one thing I'll (...) (18 years ago, 10-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: mindstorms NXT and memory —Andrew Cross
     (...) That sounds pretty interesting as a GBA is a decent controller compared to celphone buttons. But, is there a programming language that covers enough celphones? This would make that project more practical for the range of impact. There is (...) (18 years ago, 11-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: mindstorms NXT and memory —Philippe Hurbain
     (...) Probably a gear reduction, similar to the RC motor: (URL) (18 years ago, 11-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: mindstorms NXT and memory —Jonathan Wilson
   (...) Blame the phone companies. (Verizon is probobly the worst offender but others are guilty too) I know of many hacks where people have re-enabled features (including such things as bluetooth address book sync and bluetooth file transfer) that (...) (18 years ago, 10-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)