 Robotics / 24854
  Re: Mars rovers use Lego principles?

As far as I know, it's the standard process for implementing a brake. All the electric forklift trucks I drove used this method as the main brake. There was a mechanical emergency brake as well, but the main brake was to use the motor to generate (...) (18 years ago, 5-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mars rovers use Lego principles?

(...) Aside from the fact that it's a cheap technique (one relay replaces a whole slew of servos, hydrailics, brake pads and disks) - it also doesn't wear out like friction-based brakes do. For Mars rovers, the power recovery must be worth having - (...) (18 years ago, 6-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)