 Robotics / 24811
Re: Mindstorms NXT & Revalation of the MUP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:26:14 GMT

Bryan Bonahoom wrote:
Check out this magazine article.  A preview of February's Wired Mag.
Has anyone heard of the Mindstorms User Panel (MUP) before?   (obviously there are a few people that have heard of it)
http://wired.com/news/technology/0,69946-0.html

   As the article notes, the MUP was created especially for the NXT project.

   Congrats John, Steve and the others for making the grade. ;)

   Shall we place bets on who the un-named fifth candidate was? Mario? ;)

   I applied for the NXT test program already. I'm very excited about the NXT
capabilities. I tried creating a variety of exploration rover designs with the original
Mindstorms, but ran into a huge number of limitations both mechanical, sensory and
computational. I'm really looking forward to the expanded capabilities of NXT for
designing semi-autonomous exploration rover robots. Like, Sojourner and Opportunity for
your living room.

   With the new color light sensor and ultrasonic rangefinder, a mobile version of my
LIDARstation ( http://xenon.arcticus.com/Lego/ ) could navigate and map a space by itself.

   I always wanted to make a mobile system like this, but I ran out of IO on the RCX. I'm
hoping that NXT has port multiplexing to allow us to use more simultaneous motors and
sensors if we own them. Also, communications between the NXT and other devices (other
NXTs, or a computer data logging station like LIDARStation uses) will be marvelous via
bluetooth.

   Signed,

   Very Excited in Colorado

Bryan

--
      Chris 'Xenon' Hanson | Xenon @ 3D Nature | http://www.3DNature.com/
  "I set the wheels in motion, turn up all the machines, activate the programs,