 Robotics / 24644
Re: Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 13:17:34 GMT

Bruce

The recent Robonexus was a mix of the mundane/boring, remote
controlled non-robots, and some very exciting autonomous technology
(which did not attract the limelight). Go figure...

Yes that's true and very sad.

It's a problem I'm interested in because for a few years now, I've been
designing autonous robots for the retail market and I've never ever made a
profit. (Even though some are in production.) Every other designer I've met
has admitted the same result. Why does Robosapiens have a remote-control?

My guess is that if I'm controlling a Robot Wars robot, my ego is projected
into the "robot" (i.e. remote-control car). It's as though I'm sitting in
it. I feel the pain when I get hit. It's much more emotionally involving.
And it's emotional involvement that people want. That's just a biology
thing: a part of being human.

Autonous robots imply an involvement that is one-step removed. It isn't
"me" that's in the robot, the robot is a free agent. Which is fine for us
nerd, geeks and other detached intellectuals. But we're the weirdos. The
majority of the species doen't think or feel the same way.

Any counter arguments?

Peter