 Robotics / 24610
Re: Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:31:48 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Thomas Chesney wrote:

I'd really like to find out what techniques/notations people
are using to design their robots and code.

   OK, I feel somewhat silly stating this out loud, but... I think about the
problem a lot, usually while mowing the lawn or driving to/from work. Once I
have a possible solution roughed out in my head, I start building parts of the
robot to see if particularly difficult bits work the way I think. *Then* I build
the rest of the robot, and finally program it, generously reusing previously
tested chunks of code.
   At this point, invariably, things don't work as they did in my headd, and I
start the refine/redesign process. Most of the time, the result is a working
robot. About 10-20% of the time, this results in me scraping the entire thing as
a bad job.
   That is, sadly perhaps, as organized as I get. I should add that I have
exactly zero programming or computer courses under my belt, and no engineering
either - I'm a stay-at-home Dad & Physicist.

I always use a Jackson Structured Process (JSP) chart, which does
have other names but you can see:

   I can't even figure out a lot of that, but much of it seems over-specified
for a single person designing a robot. I am curious about how you use it
however.

--
Brian Davis