 Robotics / 24366
24365  |  24367
Subject:
5-DOF arm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 04:20:38 GMT

Hi everyone --

I have recently completed my Nth version of a 5-DOF arm plus claw.  Finally,
I am guardedly happy with the result.  I think it's about as minimalist as
such a thing can be; it's much smaller than models with similar capability
I've seen on the web (cyberarm III and IV, for instance).  The design is
somewhat novel, with all of the heavy motors concentrated near the shoulder.
Instead of wrist flexion, I went for shoulder rotation; I claim this is a
more suitable approach for most applications.  In particular, a simple
wheeled base would provide the missing 6th degree of freedom, allowing a
vehicle with an arm to have access to any 3D position and angle of approach.

It can pick up things on the order of a 9-volt battery, or small Lego
assemblages, without any trouble.  It uses 4 standard geared motors and 2
micro-motors.  I decided to use a few cable ties and a touch of glue on the
claw assembly to keep it from breaking apart when lifting heavier objects,
but I suspect a good Lego-meister could improve the design enough to make it
sturdy without any non-lego parts or other impurities.  It worked OK on
lighter objects in its original form, but I got tired of putting it back
together after tests.  I also cut one piece to make a 9x2 plate.

If anyone is interested, I will take some pictures and post them somewhere.

-dbm