 Robotics / 24331
24330  |  24332
Subject:
Mars mission III
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 07:52:54 GMT

Luxembourg Science Festival Event is planned from Oct 22th to 30th. And our Mars
Rover 3d edition will be a part of it.

This time people out there will be able to move the robot over the
Mars-environment as already known. BUT, the rover is equipped with a grabber-arm
and the CMUCam2 camera-module. So, you'll be challenged to find a blue or green
(not sure yet about the best color) "meteorite" that you should then try to grab
and to transport to an other place.

Like version II, Rover III is equipped with our IR/RF repeater that overcomes
the many IR-interference problems that we had with version I. The rover has a
very interesting un-seen geometry and has 2 RCX, 4 touch-sensors, 1
light-sensor, 2 rotation-sensors (only 1 is actually used), 1 potentiometer as
angle-sensor, the CMUCam2 camera-module and our interface to it.

Since we are using the camera and the IR/RF module, both RCX can no longer
communicate over the IR-channel, so we developed a two wire master-slave
communication by cross-wiring RCX output and input ports. The outputs are
switched from "brake" to "float" mode which produces sensor-Boolean 1 resp. 0.
We transmit 16-bit data to include addresses at about 50 baud. The rate can be
increased. Not famous,... but...

http://www.convict.lu/Jeunes/Mars_Mission_B/Mars_mission_III.htm

-Claude