 Robotics / 24263
Re: Tripping a relay.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 03:21:48 GMT

Quoting Dan Novy <dan@flashfilmworks.com>:

If you hit a 5v latching relay with 9v, will it damage it?

--
Dan Novy
Technical Supervisor

If you mean the coil, 9V is 180% of 5V rated coil voltage. The issue is the
total power dissipated in the coil. If you only pulse the relay at a very low
duty cycle at room temp, it won't ever build up enough heat to damage it.
Drive it this way 100% duty cycle, and at a high ambient temp, then yes, you
will probably overheat and damage it.

Regards

Bruce