 Robotics / 24076
24075  |  24077
Subject:
Motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:26:08 GMT

Hi all,

Is it a bad idea to run motors at different power levels as in OUT_LOW,
OUT_HALF, and OUT_FULL. What I mean is, will running a motor at low power wear
it out significantly faster than running it at full power?

I have built a plotter with the basic mindstorms kit and have an "art without an
artist" algorithm I am going to write in NQC when I have some time. If anyone
has code (or code design) for a plotter that they would share I'd be interested
in seeing it. I think others do something like "draw all y for x = 0, draw all y
for x = 1, draw all y for x = 2" etc. I'm planing to do x and y together but
this involves changing motor speed. I'm not sure if motor speed can be changed
fast enough but I shall try. The plotter itself is quite small - I'm not sure if
it's possible to construct a bigger one with just the basic parts. (For info, I
only use basic parts as one of the reasons I started using mindstorms was to
encourage kids to get interested in engineering/computing/science and I don't
like saying "buy this and you can build something cool, as long as you also buy
all this extra kit...")

Thomas
www.tccards.co.uk