 Robotics / 23710
RE: FLL not allowing NQC; Mindscript is allowed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:56:15 GMT

I've got an idea.  Use the scientific method.  Open your mind long enough to
coach two FLL teams.  Honestly give both teams the same amount of effort and
dedication.  Honestly divide your team members so the teams are as even as
possible talent-wise.

Have one use ROBOLAB -- and teach them good programming techniques while
you're at it.  Have the other use NQC or a programming language of your
choice, and convert it in a legal fashion to RCX byte-code.

Let them compete with each other or in FLL competition.  Then see if there's
a difference.  I think you'll be surprised.

Personally, I detest RIS, but according to statistics, winning teams are
equally divided between RIS and ROBOLAB users. Perhaps it's the talent and
teamwork that makes the difference.

So formulate your hypothesis (oh, yeah, you've done that already), gather
your data, and come back when you can prove something scientifically.

"You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?"

Liz Bilbro
BTW, many of the contests where the robots are fabricated severely limit the
parts and materials you can use.