 Robotics / 23706
Re: FLL not allowing NQC; Mindscript is allowed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:44:49 GMT

On Tue, March 15, 2005 12:01 pm, John Hansen said:
And
I don't feel angry or even particularly annoyed that FLL doesn't allow using a
real programming language in its competitions.  Just discouraged and frustrated,
mostly.

So, this is the same argument we've been hearing for the last couple weeks, right?
NQC is the only "Real" programming language that can be used on the RCX (with
standard firmware).  If we can't use NQC, I won't participate.

Let me also repeat myself.  This is NO different from someone who's good at building
'sheet-metal' robots, coming in and saying, "FLL doesn't allow the use of REAL
hardware in it's competitions."

The hardware knowledge is NOT transferable either.  But the concepts for both
hardware and software are.

Robolab is fine for what it does, I suppose.  It's a clever way to generate LASM
code using lots of little pictures.  But don't even try to argue that it teaches
children good programming skills because it doesn't.

NQC doesn't teach any better programming skills than Robolab.  You can create
exactly the same "spaghetti code where you 'jump' whenever you wish" as with
Robolab.  The coaches need to teach good programming.

Or, they could use Mindscript, which doesn't allow the use of Goto's.

|   if ((RotationAmount < 50 && loopCount >= 4) ||
|       AmbientTemp < 32 ||
|       Message() == 13)
|   {
|     PlaySound(SOUND_DOUBLE_BEEP);
|     Wait(200);
|     PlaySound(SOUND_DOWN);
|   }
|   else
|   {
|     Wait(400);
|     PlaySound(SOUND_CLICK);
|   }

In all this discussion, this is the first example I've see with respect to why
someone may want to use NQC.  Given the restrictions Robolab imposes, it's not hard
to develop an example that is more difficult to code in Robolab.  But, it's still
very possible.

I would do it using a flag, like this psudocode:

| set redflag = 0
| if (RotationAmount < 50 && loopCount >= 4) set redflag = 1
| if AmbientTemp < 32 set redflag = 1
| if Message() == 13 set redflag = 1
|
| if redflag = 1
|   {
|     PlaySound(SOUND_DOUBLE_BEEP);
|     Wait(200);
|     PlaySound(SOUND_DOWN);
|   }
|   else
|   {
|     Wait(400);
|     PlaySound(SOUND_CLICK);
|   }

Of course the logic error in the original example is that the comparison
(AmbientTemp < 32) would more likely be (AmbientTemp <= 32), but that's the problem
with a contrived example.

Steve