 Robotics / 23664
Re: FLL not allowing NQC; Mindscript is allowed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:48:41 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ralph Hempel wrote:

<snip>

You have to remember that FLL is all about engineering and
tinkering. I was at the MIT Mindfest the year after Mindstorms
was released. There were FLL teams competing, and they were
having a blast.

This has been my experience.  Being in a room full of kids who are all jazzed up
on technology, math and science is wonderous.  Listening to a kid describe how
she discovered subroutines is delightful.  Seeing a kid walk over to the team
that just thrashed his robot in competition and hearing him say "Your robot is
awsome!  What are those springs for?" is something that is too good to have a
word for it.  My wife, the big softy she is, tears up a the state tournament
award ceremony each year. Ok, sometimes I do too.

<snip>

Another of my co-panelists, Markus Noga (original developer of LegOS)
had this little gem:

   Form is liberating.

In other words, not being able to debate about the choice of
programming language or environment leaves a lot more time for
doing the actual task at hand. :-)

I had to learn ROBOLAB and RIS to be a mentor, judge and trainer for FLL.  I
still don't like RIS, but it was part of the job.  ROBOLAB is actually a lot of
fun to tinker around with.  I even use ROBOLAB for some of my own robots.  I
also use NQC, Java, C++, and even Ralph's pbForth (though as a Forth programmer
I had to create my own dialect).  Learning these new languages was not
burdensome.  And you don't need to learn them to great depths to teach them to
your team.  Give them the basics and then help them explore.  I learn something
from a FLL team each year.  I teach some, and they teach some.  This is how it
is supposed to be done.

<snip>

If you spend any time with kids at all, you'll see some pretty
bright lights shining in different colours. Some are good programmers,
some mechanical geniuses, some are fund-raisers, some are just
good managers. And some are slugs. Get over it, you need to work
with everyone with the tools at hand.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng.

Thanks Ralph.