 Robotics / 23662
Re: FLL not allowing NQC; Mindscript is allowed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:47:04 GMT

On Fri, March 11, 2005 11:03 am, Steve Baker said:
Jon Gilchrist wrote:
But they don't allow it, so you work around it.  If
you really have strong programming skills, it should be a no-brainer
to work in RIS, or even Mindscript.

That's just not true.  My son's fluency in NQC is not going to translate
to some braindead scheme of dragging little boxes around to make archaic
flowcharts.

So, your son (sorry, I'm really not trying to attack your son) can create a sequence
of steps using NQC.  As we know, these steps are converted to op-codes.  Robolab
uses icons to represent the EXACT same op-codes.

But, your son doesn't have the ability to create the exact same sequence of steps
using icons as he created using NQC.  That's not a problem with the software.

Real programmers simply don't work like that.  Real programs (even real
Lego robotics programs) are hundreds of lines long - and translating those
into an RIS flowchart results in largely incomprehensible spaghetti.

It takes hundreds of lines of code to make a robot move from this corner of the
table to that one?  That's a shame, because I can do it with just a few icons.

Spanish.  Now there's an incomprehensible language.  Why?  Because I don't know it.

After all, they're just tools,
aren't they?  If NQC really doesn't give you a competitive advantage,
then why shouldn't you be able to work in RIS?

I don't agree that NQC gives you no advantage.  I think it's a huge
advantage - and one that all children should be allowed to exercise because
robotics is at least as much about software skills as it is about mechanical
design skills and there is no reason to artificially limit one in favor of
the other.

What advantage can you get from NQC?  I agree, using NQC may make it easier to move
onto other non-LEGO projects, but in FLL, what advantage can you get?  What can you
do with NQC that you can't do with Robolab?

Absolutely.  So why is my kid excluded just because he's chosen to
learn a real programming language instead of a toy one?

That's like saying "Why is my kid excluded just because he's chosen to build real,
sheet-metal robots, instead of toy LEGO robots?"

Maybe, you'd suggest that the mechanical knowledge should be transferable.  And, I'd
suggest the programming concepts should be transferable.

Steve