 Robotics / 23658
Re: FLL not allowing NQC; Mindscript is allowed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:05:00 GMT

On Fri, March 11, 2005 10:29 am, Steve Baker said:
These two styles of play are equally valid - but FLL, by forcing kids who
are good at software to use less than the best available tools,

Do you mean kids that are good at software, or good with NQC?

And exactly what is "the best available tool"?

I assume you're claiming that NQC is the best tool for FLL.  While it may be true
that NQC is better than Robolab or RIS for some applications, if your goal is to
teach programming concepts to 8 year olds who have never used a computer, you may
want something with pictures.

And, so NQC is not "THE" best tool.  Just like any programming language, it has it's
strengths, but it's not the best tool for every application.

I think you underestimate the number of AFOLs who like kids and like LEGO
robotics but who have no desire to learn how to use RIS or Robolab and, as a
result, are less inclined to volunteer.

Yep - I'm one of those.  The kids I've worked with grew up learning C and NQC
(because they program other things than just Lego robots - and RIS and Robolab
are useless for anything beyond the narrow confines of Lego).  My kids are
simply unable to compete in FLL - so we don't enter.

It's too bad your kids do not have the ability to learn another type of computer
language.  The ability to learn is a useful skill to have.

Personally, I use several different languages for programming my LEGO robots.  While
I think BrickOS is the best available tool, there are situations where it's useful
for me to use other software.  I learned Robolab in order to teach it to the FLL
team, and I think it's very easy to use.

It's nice that you work in a place where you are able to choose what software you
program with.  I don't always get to use MY favorite software.  I use my boss's
favorite.

Steve