 Robotics / 23648
Re: FLL not allowing NQC; Mindscript is allowed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:24:30 GMT

On Thu, March 10, 2005 1:46 am, Steve Baker said:
OK - so there are two horrible implications in what you say:

1) People who have more of a mechanical background are allowed to have
    a huge advantage - but people who have more of a software background
    have to be constrained to prevent them from doing well in the contest.

People with a mechanical background have a huge advantage over who?  People without
a mechanical background?  Yes, I agree they can build better robots.

So, just how is your son constrained?  What can be done in NQC, that can not be done
with Robolab?

Can you demonstrate?  Can you write a program in NQC that does something that can't
be done with Robolab?  I doubt it.

Go ahead.  Try.

2) That constraining people's abilities in order to 'level the playing
    field' is a good way to run a contest.

That kind of attitude makes me very, very angry.

Why do they have that silly rule of only allowing LEGO?  Why can't they use three
touch sensors?  Why can't they use four motors?

Why can't someone enter a "champ-car" (open wheel race car) in a NASCAR event?  Is
it because they want to 'level the playing field'?

The point of a competition is to allow people to exercise and demonstrate
their skills.

And, I would argue that a good demonstration of a programmers skill would be to use
another language.  I really have no idea how many languages I've learned and
forgotten.

I learned Fortran in high school.  Boy, was that a waste of time.

Or maybe not...

Steve