 Robotics / 23625
Re: FLL not allowing NQC; Mindscript is allowed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 20:36:30 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
Last night, I went home and opened a "LEGO RIS Code" file in a text editor.  Turns
out it's a very nicely formatted Mindscript file.

I'm interested to know if there's a good reason to use NQC, and not Mindscript.

Is there a good reason to allow MindScript and not NQC?  No.  With MindScript
and LASM you can do anything you can do with NQC.  But there are *very* few
experienced MindScript programmers out there to teach the language to FLL team
members.

Why do you guys insist on looking for loopholes in the rules?

I'm not looking for a loophole.  I'm arguing for a rule change.  Why is it okay
to use MindScript - but only if you edit the file and download it using
ScriptEd?  The rules do not allow you to use BricxCC (or even the LCC32 command
line MindScript compiler wrapper I wrote) to compile and download a MindScript
program.  That is an absurd restriction.

While the RIS gui does save programs as nicely formatted MindScript files, it
isn't a two-way street, i.e., you can't edit the MindScript directly (in any
meaningful way) and have much hope that it will still be loadable via the RIS
software.  The whole reason for wanting to use MindScript would be use a text
editor to write the program rather than a GUI drag-and-drop tool.

What is wrong with allowing FLL teams to use any programming tool that targets
the standard LEGO firmware?  LEGO sells a tutorial on their website which
teaches people how to use NQC via BricxCC to program LEGO robots.  Let the FLL
teams use it if they want.  It won't make those teams more likely to win the
competition.  It will, however, enable teams to use operating systems other than
Windows or Mac and provide an opportunity to the FLL participants to learn a
more traditional style of programming.

John Hansen