 Robotics / 23599
Re: RIS 2.0 Problems - Low Level Languages?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 22:44:38 GMT

Mark,
Try this

--- Dick Swan <dickswan@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
First "official" version of Mindstorm replacement
firmware can now be
downloaded from www.drjsoftware.com and follow the
links on the page.

Basic firmware file is there for downloading. More
documentation coming
over the next few days.

--- Mark Bellis <mark.bellis@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Michael Obenland wrote:
This thread made my day. Really!

In the end, the brick is an embedded system with a • whopping 32k of RAM, mostly
filled up by the operating system. For me (ok, I • admit, I want to drive the
war a bit further...) even c++ has too much • overhead to be used for my brickOS
programs.

Real programmers don't use Pascal!

Regards,

Michael

(real programmers even don't use assemblers but
code directly in hex)

Reminds me of BBC micros, where the most useful
BASIC command was the open
square bracket to go into assembler!

Do you have facilities to program the RCX in
assembler or hex?

I'm interested in a lower level language so that I
don't have to learn another
higher one!  At the moment I program the RCX in VB
using the OCX file but I'd
like to experiment with alternative firmware.

Since I soon learned that the way to squeeze more
out of a BBC micro was to use
machine code, I think the same is probably true for
the RCX.

Are the sensor port power/read cycle timing and the
available motor speeds
dependent on the firmware or the hardware?

Mark

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!