 Robotics / 23581
Re: RIS & FLL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:36:19 GMT

Does anyone know what "Mindscript" is?

I assume most people in this discussion don't know what it is, or that it IS
allowed in FLL events.

From the 2003 rules (unchanged in '04):
http://www.firstlegoleague.org/default.aspx?pid=11250

"6. ALLOWABLE SOFTWARE
The Robot must be programmed using LEGO MINDSTORMS Robotics Invention System or
RoboLab software (any version)."

And from the Q&A: http://www.firstlegoleague.org/default.aspx?pid=11360

"[10-1-03]  Q:  Last year you ruled that MindScript was actually part of
MindStorms and said we could use it.  Is that still the case this year?

A:  Yes.  There has been sufficient feedback to show that using MindScript does
not provide an advantage to the user, but simply allows teachers to show the
programming language that underlies the MindStorms “click-and-drag” interface.
Teams who use MindScript should be aware that we can not provide technical
support for it, and that the team is responsible for describing their work to
tournament judges who may not be familiar with it."

So, there's your text-based language.  But, if that's not enough...

I REALLY do not agree that Robolab leads to bad programming habits.  I assume
people are suggesting Robolab allows you to do things that can not be done with
NQC?  Wouldn't that make Robolab more powerful?

Maybe there are things that can be done with NQC that are not available in
Robolab.  Well, no, that's not the case.  Robolab allows you to do anything you
can do in NQC.

It's possible to create 'spaghetti' code with any language.  I'd say if it's
easier with Robolab, then it's also easier to create a good program with
Robolab.

Programming with Robolab is much like creating a flow-chart.  And, while that
pratice may be lost with many programmers, I don't think it is a bad pratice.
In fact, if you really want to know where spaghetti code comes from, we should
talk to those who think flow-charting is a waste of time...

Steve