 Robotics / 23562
Re: RIS 2.0 Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 16:00:39 GMT

I think that something might be overlooked here? To
ensure that all contestants are playing on a level
field, it is necessary to ensure they have the same
elements for building their competition systems. To do
this, it necessarily requires that development tools
support a fixed set of functions, calls, and encoding
so that no team has something the others do not.

By adding Java or NCQ, the competition judges lose
control of this and no longer can ensure that the code
generated could also have been generated by LEGO
development tools.

As it happens, there is an independant firmware that
supports the standard LEGO functions, but has new ones
of its own, and on top of this works up to 10x faster
than the LEGO firmware. So using NQC could give an
advantage that others do not have, even if you can't
use it on a Mac.

Have you ever thought to load and run NQC, and take
its output and load it in the LEGO development
environment?

Seems to me that there is some complaining without
experience of how 'equal' it might make you if you had
NQC or other development environment.

I also have to say that its a grand thing, to hear a
Mac user moan about their Mac not being able to do
what a lowly PC does :)

Just a couple of thoughts

Cheers

--- Mark Tarrabain <markt@lynx.SPAMBLOCK.net> wrote:
Steve Baker wrote:
More annoying is that the Lego tools only work on • the Microsoft operating
system - and this actively discriminates against • teams who might use Linux
or some other operanting system on their PC's - • that effectively blocks
some teams from entering - which is massively • unfair (particularly in
international competition - some non-US countries • have schools that use
Linux exclusively).

That, my friend, hits the nail _SQUARELY_ on the
head.  This issue could
in theory be addressed by them producing a new,
completely platform
independant development environment (perhaps itself
being done in Java,
so that it would work everywhere Java works, at
least).

Simply allowing NQC would reflect poorly on Lego
because NQC could be
perceived by people to offer a competitive advantage
over Lego's
standard offerings on account of NQC's higher
similarity to more
contemporary programming languages.

Mark

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!