 Robotics / 23480
Re: RCX3 - Can extra hardware functionality be added?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 08:45:31 GMT

Wow- that is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking. Maybe the PWM
could be disengaged, allowing for servo's, or wired serial- so 2 or more
could link, or a serial servo controller used. I have always been an
advocate of modularity and expandability. Having to buy the whole system
again for an upgrade was never the best way. This could mean you could
upgrade certain parts, while not needing to change the whole thing. For
Lego - it would give them a much vaster follow up market as they sell an
initial pod set-up, and release others in a kind of serialisation later.

I have also been thinking of a more advanced 2x1x2(plate) cable
connector. It would still be backwards compatible with the 2x2x2
connectors by having a metal top, and base. On one long side it would
have the cable, and the other a single sprung retractable plug and
socket. This allows for the plug to be out of the way for normal use-
and the connectors may be stacked or plugged in - making them more space
economic and adaptable. The only thing is that you would lose the
ability to stack at right angles(you would have to route the cable). The
additional density would allow more changes in the RCX form factor-
especially if the cables are mounted with the socket instead of studs.

I wonder if I2C could be considered. Being able to have such a
capable/extendable controller that is easily mounted, and satisfies the
purists would be a huge leap.

Danny Staple
-=-
http://orionrobots.co.uk - inspiring creativity and building robot