 Robotics / 23473
Re: How to send commands directly to the RCX?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 05:53:18 GMT

You have to open a port to the Lego Tower.  Generally it looks like a file.  Here's some Python
code I'm using that does it, someone can probably translate to Java:

irHnd = CreateFile("\\\\.\\legotower1", GENERIC_READ|GENERIC_WRITE, 0, None, OPEN_EXISTING, 0,
None)
WriteFile(irHnd, data, None)
CloseHandle(irHnd)

This is a straight translation of the calls of same names in WIN32 API (for instance see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/base/createfile.asp)
The double slashes resolve to single slashes (like in C), so the device name is really:
"\\.\legotower1" (assuming you only have one, otherwise I suppose it's \\.\legotower2, etc)

On the RCX side, things depend on whether you are using standard firmware (NQC or Lego-generated
bytecode), Lejos, or Legos/Brickos.  I'm using Brickos, and I've overridden the serial routines
that are standard (LNP, Lego Networking Protocol).  In my app, I've jiggered a tower LED to be 1
centimeter from the RCX in a closed environment, so I don't worry about noise.  Under normal
conditions, you need some redundancy, which is provided by LNP (legos), or the standard Lego
message protocol (good description:
http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth/scripts/howtoIRData.html)

Anyway, hope this helps, don't be overwhelmed, it's not really that hard.  I'm willing to help if
you have more questions.

-dan

--- Matteo Core <wipe_2097@hotmail.com> wrote:

Sorry i do not mention it but i need it to be done on java if any of you
have some idea please  post it ;
in any case i want to thank you for replies