 Robotics / 23450
  using PWM output to control Lego motors

In my ongoing quest to control Lego robots by radio, I've uncovered some receivers made by GWS that work with a standard model airplane transmitter, and have 4 channels of standard PWM (pulse-width modulation) output. For example, see (URL). But now (...) (20 years ago, 2-Feb-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: using PWM output to control Lego motors

PWM for servo pulse is on a three wire system (Pos, Neg, and data). The pulse is a series of different length square waves sent to the servo or ESC in a certain length of time. This pulse is then translated by the servo or ESC as a "position" it (...) (20 years ago, 2-Feb-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: using PWM output to control Lego motors

(...) Thank you, this clarifies things for me quite a lot. I was thinking that PWM was PWM, but now I see the important difference -- one is a means of transmitting data, and the other is a means for controlling current (integrated over many (...) (20 years ago, 2-Feb-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: using PWM output to control Lego motors

Hi Joe, (...) are you sure this isn't for servos? (...) Yes, the RCX uses PWM for power control, in each 8ms period power is on for 0-8ms and off (disconnected) for the rest. (...) You need 9V and up to 500mA. (...) I have the impression that they (...) (20 years ago, 2-Feb-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: using PWM output to control Lego motors

(...) The signals output by the RC receiver will drive servos or RC motor speed controllers. The signal consists of a pulse of 1-2ms width in an 18ms cycle. For a servo, 1ms corresponds to 45 degrees turn one way, 1.5ms to centre and 2ms to 45 (...) (20 years ago, 2-Feb-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)