 Robotics / 23230
23229  |  23231
Subject:
Transistors used in Lego Electronic products
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:29:44 GMT

Can anyone tell me what type of transistor is in a surface mount package marked
"E16"?  They're used in the Cybermaster radio tower.

Are the transistors NPN or PNP?

Do they have the usual pin-out (collector on its own, base and emitter on the
other side)?  I guess that since there's no "R" suffix, the base and emitter
aren't swapped over.

I think they are high speed devices as they are in the 27MHz circuitry of the
tower.

I'm looking into the circuit of the Cybermaster radio tower to compare it with
the IR tower.  If anyone has already drawn its circuit then I haven't found it
online yet.  Do say if you know of anyone publishing such information.  It's the
next step up in size of circuit before I get on to the bar code unit.

I've already noticed significant differences in the serial port circuitry
between the two towers.  No wonder the spirit.ocx object has a property that can
be set to radio or IR when used with Visual Basic.  There's also a custom 8-pin
chip in there, and some op-amps.

One possible goal of this is to make an RC to IR converter in order to use the
RCX via a radio link, extending its range and permitting it to be controlled
when out of sight or in bright light conditions (TV studio?).  I suppose one way
would be to make a serial interface between the two towers, mounting both on the
robot.  This would need two RC towers and one IR tower.

Mark