 Robotics / 22988
22987  |  22989
Subject:
How to make my robot "Talk"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 16:18:28 GMT

Patrick

a playback device that could be
controled by the RCX.

There are lots of voice record/playback kits around. I bought one to
experiment with that uses the W51300-701 chip and has around 20 sec of
space. It only cost a few dollars.

If I were you, I'd power it off an RCX motor port (via the usual
full-bridge rectifier).

Connect -ve from the bridge rectifier to the 0V of the kit and to -ve of a
100uF cap.
Connect +ve from the bridge rectifier through a further diode to +ve of the
100uF cap.
Connect +ve of the 100uF cap to +V of the kit.
Connect +ve from the bridge rectifier to the "playback" input of the kit.

The idea is that you keep the motor output "ON". To initiate playback, turn
the output off for a few mSec then back on again. The 100uF cap means that
the chip doesn't see the drop in power but the "playback" input of the kit
sees a negative-going pulse as though you'd just pressed the playback
button.

Experiment!

Peter