 Robotics / 22805
Re: Lego Compatible (was Re: JCX and Legos...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 05:26:51 GMT

I think I must have sent this off-list?

I am of the opinion that LEGO time is theraputic. I
_WANT_ it to plug-n-play. I don't mind having to have
an 'extra' brick in place, or needing several battery
boxes, but I would like it to all work with standard
LEGO parts.

I don't necessarily agree with the less than favorable
opinion of LEGO sensors... that's just a design issue
:-) (get the joke please) LEGO offers 6 year old kids
the ability to do things that no other robotics system
does.... LEGO rocks!

System engineering and design is about making
disparate systems work together. This is why I am not
a LEGO purist, but I _FULLY_ support the LEGO
intention of no tools, or hardware designer
requirements. When you are ready to go beyond what
LEGO has provided, share what you develop!

Everything that you develop is more easily assimilated
and used if it is LEGO compatible.

Again, just an opinion

Cheers

--- "Wayne C. Gramlich" <Wayne@Gramlich.Net> wrote:

Greetings:

Mr S wrote:
Just an opinion:

There is no right or wrong here; just opinions.

I'm not a LEGO purist, but I do like things to
plug-n-play as it were. Electrical and mechanical
compatibility of the programmable brick makes • absolute
sense for the target after-market group... people • who
chose LEGO because of the plug-n-play methodology.

I am not a purist either.  I love the no glue
required
philosophy of Lego.  Nothing that is done can't be
undone.

When it comes to designing an "add on" "after
market"
system for people who are frustrated with the
limitations
of the Lego RCX, it is very hard to achieve Lego
level
of plug-n-play.  This is largely due the cost of
developing
molds to stick everything in.

My current thoughts are that a system that expands
on
RCX minimally needs to have the same sensors and the
same ease of use, but not necessarily the identical
RCX mechanical/electrical connections.  Frankly, the
standard Lego sensors are pretty meager -- a touch
sensor (overpriced microswitch), a flakey rotation
sensor, and the light sensor (easily replaced by the
appropriate Sharp reflective sensor at a 10th the
price.)

My thought is that a system that easy to
mechanically
attach to Legos, but is completely different in its
processor and sensor suite should be acceptable.

In my own personal perversion of the RCX, I'd like • to
see it as compact, accepting an external battery
source so that more electronics could be packed in • the
RCX like brick, and longer lasting battery packs • could
be used. That leaves room for more connectors, • more
h-bridges, more sensors, but that is MY personal
opinion. Sort of an RCX version 3.0.

There is general agreement in the community that
more
I/O ports are needed.  Separating the battery pack
would
be useful as well.

A parent, wishing to take their child's hobby • further
needs PnP LEGO compatability. What parent wants to • let
their 8 year old loose in a bedroom, unsupervised,
with tools and batteries? Some of us hobbyists • don't
need the PnP compatability, but the general LEGO
community does. One of the _BEST_ things about • LEGO is
the absolute lack of need for tools or skills with
tools.

I suspect that the Robotics sub-community of Lego is
on
the high end of capabilities.  I agree about the
desire
of no tools.

Just an opinion....

Likewise, my opinion as well....