 Robotics / 22717
RE: Steering Drive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 04:20:28 GMT

So my problem is, how do I tell which way I need to turn the
motor to get the wheels back to straight?

If the sensor is touched, I know that it is going straight,
but if the sensor is not touched I can't figure out any good
way to tell which side of the switch the cam is on.  At
least, not without using another sensor port, which I don't
have available.  I can't double up on the light sensor,
because I can't have the sensor value go to 100 just because
I'm going straight.

Help.  Any advice appreciated.

I believe you have most of what you need already.  I think your question
is "are the wheels straight?" rather than "which way do I need to turn
the motor to get the wheels back to straight?"

The way I would attempt to tackle the problem is by using rubber bands
to auto-center the steering when the steering motor is relaxed.  How
tight the rubber bands are will dictate how quickly steering returns to
center and how much power is needed to overcome the desire to run
straight.

One rubber band may suffice, but two (one on each side) may be better.

It all works in my head... Hope that helps...

- Rob