 Robotics / 22637
Re: bitwise manipulations in C
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 22:08:21 GMT

scott davis wrote:

Can anybody tell me about bitwise manipulations or point me to a site
that explains what it is,

There really isn't a lot to tell.

All integers (short's, chars) in C are considered as a bunch of bits.
You can use the '&', '|', '^', '~', '<<' and '>>' operators to AND,
OR, XOR, INVERT, Up-shift and Down-shift all of the bits at once.

what its used for,

All sorts of things - you might have a lot of single bit variables
that you'd like to pack together into a single integer - or you might
be working with graphics and have 16 bit colours comprised of 5 bits of
Red, 6 bits of Green and 5 bits of blue packed into a single 16 bit number.

There is no one particular use.

and how to use it?

Those bitwise operators work just like any other integer math operator,
it's just arithmetic.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net