 Robotics / 22564
Re: Ultimate ROBOLAB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:43:39 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jerry Kalpin wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Claude Baumann wrote:
Have a sneak preview of this ROBOLAB based development environment to create RCX
firmwares:

http://www.convict.lu/Jeunes/ultimate_stuff/Ultimate_intro.htm

I have been reading the reference description of Ultimate ROBOLAB.  It sounds
exciting, but I am a bit confused about what it is.

It's a programming tool (piece of software) that creates 'assembler programs'
which are downloaded to the RCX in the same way as you download firmware.  Each
one allows the RCX to be used to do a special-purpose task, such as an ohmmeter
or a fast datalogger.

Will this result in a general-purpose programming environment similar in use to
the old RCX/Firmware combination (but with enhanced capability)?

If so, will it be distributed through LEGO-Dacta or distributed as freeware with
support by the technical community like NQC?

If not, will the 'firmware' products reside within the old ROBOLAB, and who will
create and/or provide them?

All my recent projects were programmed with ROBOLAB and I find the prospect of a
new and better environment very attractive.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

In fact Ultimate ROBOLAB programs are "firmwares". You can design simple
programs or even complex ones controlling advanced robots. You also can use the
software to write a complete firmware as a state machine controlling the RCX
with your specific code interpreter for user programs or other behaviour. It
includes all kind of options that allows you to access even the last H8 bit...
and all is done graphically in the spirit of ROBOLAB.

As to your distribution questions...

... things will hopefully be clarified at the ROBOLAB conference in August.

Claude