 Robotics / 22532
Re: Surely we cannot be outdone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2004 20:24:14 GMT

Why not try to duplicate the _intent_ and large-grain structure, rather than
the form?

Is there some wheel gear that could operate a 10 count, and trigger a
pneumatic operation for carry? That way carry is not dependent on friction
over number of gears, as each station is stand alone.

Obviously one could not use a processor (that would be cheating), so
pneumatic is an obvious technology for energy impartment. (Is there a way to
use belts in old-style common shaft?).

Neat idea to investigate this!

--Gordon

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Pieniazek"
<larry.(mylastname)@ascentialsoftwareDOTcom.pair.com>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2004 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: Surely we cannot be outdone?

In lugnet.robotics, Ross Crawford wrote:
(snip)

Thanks for the explanation of DE principles, Ross.

I spent some time looking at that site. I would have to say that DE is a • Meccano
"tour de force"

Lego is not quite as good at complex geared mechanisms (plastic will • almost
always have more lash and will require more energy input than metal) so I • would
be very surprised if a DE could be built and operated reliably in LEGO.

Happily proved wrong though!

As for the last comment about attaching a Meccano steam engine, that part • would
be impossible to duplicate. A pneumo engine, maybe.