 Robotics / 22530
Re: Surely we cannot be outdone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2004 12:02:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Øyvind Steinnes wrote:

“Steve Baker” lego-robotics@crynwr.com wrote in message news:40B93E57.5030709@airmail.net...
   Babbages’ Difference Engine in Meccano:

http://www.meccano.us/differenceengines/rde1/index.html

Now *surely* someone here can do better with Lego?

And if that someone can get it powered by a pnaumatic engine we got a airpowered calculating machine :)

I doubt that would be possible, certainly very difficult as it works with decimal digits. Maybe possible to build a binary difference engine with pneumatics.

   Is there any place where the principles of Babbage’s Difference Engine is explained??

It is really quite uncomplicated, google “babbage difference engine” returns some good pages eg: http://ed-thelen.org/bab/bab-intro.html

It basically works by having as many difference columns as the degree of polynomial you want to evaluate. At each step, the value in each column is added to the one beside it, the farthest column returns the result. It’s a bit like a fibonacci series where the next number is the sum of the last 2, except in this case for each step, each column is the sum of itself (at the last step) and the next lower one.

To use the x^3 example, suppose the wheels were initialised thus (Read each column downwards to see the value of the column):

R D1 D2 D3
0  0
0  0  0
0  0  0  0
0  1  6  6

One operation (4 turns of the crank in the meccano model) adds D1 to R, D2 to D1, and D3 to D2, resulting in:

R D1 D2 D3
0  0
0  0  0
0  0  1  0
1  7  2  6

Notice that the value in the R(esult) column is now 1, or 1 cubed.

A second operation results in:

R D1 D2 D3
0  0
0  0  0
0  1  1  0
8  9  8  6

Resulting in 8, or 2 cubed. You can see that the next operation will result in 8+19, or 27, which is 3 cubed, and so on. The important thing is that each column is calculated using addition only - the difference engine is just a big block of multiple adding machines.

But quite a deal of force is needed to operate all those mechanisms, the meccano one does each step in 4 sub-steps, to simplify it a bit. Even a 3rd degree engine like that meccano one would be difficult with LEGO, because of the number of mechanisms involved. But not impossible, maybe?

ROSCO