 Robotics / 2248
RE: YAWAI - Yet another Wild -*** idea. (Another sensor type)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 15:14:10 GMT

The Robot Store (www.robotstore.com) sells the Polaroid Sonar Ranging Kit
for $149.  Range: 15cm to 10m.  Order the catalog, it has a lot of neat
stuff in it (including the RIS at $198).

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Beck [SMTP:rtb@richmond.infi.net]
Sent: Friday, January 01, 1999 7:53 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: YAWAI - Yet another Wild -*** idea. (Another sensor type)

Robert Kenyon wrote:

Does anyone have any of those ultrasonic range sensors?  (like out of • an old
Polaroid camera?).  I'd expect it to be reasonably easy to use this to
detect distance to an object.  These have become pretty accurate • recently
and could be used to evaluate relative movement.

Zachary Bourk wrote:

I'm in San Diego, CALIFORNIA. We have a Brookstone that has "ultrasonic
tape measures" that output a digital signal to a panel on the front of
them. They are about the size of a CellPhone battery

Those sensors are available at most hardware stores these days.  They
can be hard to hack, since they are tightly coupled with an ASIC that
does the trigger/timing and drives the display.  Poloroid released a
developers kit that might still be available.  I was seeing adverts in
Circuit Cellar Ink a few years ago.

The leader of our robot group put one of the kits together on an Apple
][ platform.  It had decent resolution ... 0.1' in the 1.5' to 12.0'
range.  Closer than 1.5' and the echo gets swamped by the triggering
pulse.  BEWARE if you hack a hardware store sensor.  The pulse to fire
the transducer is about 90VDC from a killer cap.  If you discharge this
to your body you could wind up on the other side of the room.  Maybe
awake, maybe not.