 Robotics / 22252
22251  |  22253
Subject:
Connecting Multiple Motors to the Same Port
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:21:35 GMT

How much is the difference in terms of the total power output, when I connect
all the four motors to the same port, vs. if I distribute them in pairs into two
separate ports?

When two motors are connected together, they end up synchronize with each
others, i.e., turning one causes the other to turn too. As the result, two
motors connected to the same port will turn in about the same rate.

So maybe this is a simple way to make a differential-steered vehicle that goes
straight: Connect both motors to the same port. To turn in place, use the second
port to flip a polarity switch to reverse the direction of one of the two
motors.

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang